Message Board Thread - "Unusual image?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Unusual image? msm 1/6/2010
Can anyone help me diagnose this image? It was taken inside a log structure. The inside temperature was 68deg f and the outside temp was 28deg f.

At first glance I think it's a missing sealant in between the log courses and then reflected sunlight coming in? It wasnt' a terribly sunny day though ... Also, if there was missing sealant then the cold air should have been coming in from the outside rather than "hot" air??

Re:Unusual image? high rez 1/7/2010
Is there a heat register below?

Re:Unusual image? msm 1/7/2010
No, the heat is radiant floor heating ...

Re:Unusual image? Ea1Services 1/9/2010
msm wrote:
heat is radiant floor heating ...
It might be helpful if you have a few digital images. One of the interior and the other the exterior. Correct term for the filler in the gap is chinking. I agree that if chinking was missing or minimally installed I would have expected a cooler/darker area. I also wonder if you have something on the interior reflecting heat towards the wall that might be associated with this.

Re:Unusual image? msm 1/13/2010
Ea1Services wrote:
It might be helpful if you have a few digital images. One of the interior and the other the exterior. Correct term for the filler in the gap is chinking. I agree that if chinking was missing or minimally installed I would have expected a cooler/darker area. I also wonder if you have something on the interior reflecting heat towards the wall that might be associated with this.
Here is an image from inside. Again, the house has radiant in floor heating, but it's underneath tile and if it was reflecting heat it would be showing up in different spots on the log instead of just at the log to log connection.

Re:Unusual image? jvoitl 1/13/2010
In your visible picture it looks like a refrigerator just to the left. If so is there a chance the hot air off the condensor coils is getting between some of the logs that aren't sealed well enough?

Re:Unusual image? Brad Carr 1/13/2010
Looks like a drawer on a stove . What kind of pie was it Apple or Pumpkin?

Re:Unusual image? Brad Carr 1/13/2010
The wiring for the light switches probably run up the wall from the bottom. Warm air could be flowing up from the floor through the holes drilled for the wiring. It also could be heat conducting up from the floor .
Regards Brad

Re:Unusual image? StecGuy 1/14/2010
Based on the infrared image, it appears that you are looking down toward the shot. With the gloss on the wood, this could very well be your reflection on the small 45 degree angle surfaces that were directly facing the camera.

Did this anomaly move as you did?

Re:Unusual image? msm 1/15/2010
These are all interesting theories. I don't think it could be coming from the refrigerator b/c the heat would have to travel through a solid post first ... however, I do like the theory about the wiring coming through the walls. There are definitely wiring chases coming from under neath and through the wall to the switch. If there was a slight gap between these logs some heat could be coming up through those holes and showing itself at the gaps.

Is there a reason why it wouldn't be reflected sunlight from outside coming through?

Thanks for the input everyone ... I will definitely use this forum for more diagnosis and help.

Re:Unusual image? StecGuy 1/15/2010
Typically you would not see the sunlight in the infrared spectrum. You would see the temperature that it creates on the surface. With the outside temperature being much colder than inside, you would expect it to be colder in that location from both air/heat movement toward the colder outside (heat conducts from hot to cold), and that the exterior air would lower the temperature of the wall components as compared to the interior temperature. Whatever is creating the anomaly is elevating temperature.

Re:Unusual image? waZZZy 2/1/2010
Assuming electrical radiant heating, heating wire may be carried up through the wall.

Re:Unusual image? waZZZy 2/2/2010
waZZZy wrote:
g electrical radiant heating, heating wire may be carried up through the wall.
Here is the same image in rainbow. The continuity from the floor up the wall suggests the heating wire from the radiant heating carried up the wall.

Re:Unusual image? msm 2/3/2010
waZZZy wrote:
Here is the same image in rainbow. The continuity from the floor up the wall suggests the heating wire from the radiant heating carried up the wall.
Thanks wAZZZY ... I didn't think to try the image in another setting to help diagnose ... I will do this in the future.

Re:Unusual image? krol 5/21/2010
i agree with that...the unusual hot spots are due to geometrical changes .

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012