Message Board Thread - "Help with High temp option for E4"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Help with High temp option for E4 Scott Willits 1/13/2010
We had a pretty significant earthquake here over the weekend and our local power plant has developed a high pressure steam leak which I believe I've identified at a flange on an extraction line beneath one of their turbines. We really want verification of this before they shut down for repair but my E4 is only capable of resolving temps just north of 600°F. I know there was a high temp option for this unit, which I believe was an add-on filter that goes over the stock lens, but it appears FLIR no longer carries this item. I'm putting it out to the board to see if anyone has one that I might be able to rent for a short time to get this job taken care of.

Thanks much,
Scott Willits
Redwood Infrared
707-825-8699

Re:Help with High temp option for E4 Scott Willits 1/18/2010
Scott Willits wrote:
a pretty significant earthquake here over the weekend and our local power plant has developed a high pressure steam leak which I believe I've identified at a flange on an extraction line beneath one of their turbines. We really want verification of this before they shut down for repair but my E4 is only capable of resolving temps just north of 600°F. I know there was a high temp option for this unit, which I believe was an add-on filter that goes over the stock lens, but it appears FLIR no longer carries this item. I'm putting it out to the board to see if anyone has one that I might be able to rent for a short time to get this job taken care of.

Thanks much,
Scott Willits
Redwood Infrared
707-825-8699
Nevermind...talked to FLIR already and realized it's not a simple bolt-on but rather a firmware upgrade that would take a lot longer than I had to get this problem verified. Fortunately I have an airborne ultrasound tool too so I was able to home in on the leak that way, and once I dumped my images into Reporter and played with the span it appeared that the highest temps I was dealing with were just barely within the range of what I can work with. Site staff concurred with my findings and planned to proceed with repairs accordingly.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012