Message Board Thread - "Butane Tank Level"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Butane Tank Level highgear 3/5/2010
Curious to know if this image shows the butane level inside the tank. The guage indicated to be 72% full. Outside temperature about 40°F with very little wind. Solar loading is not affecting this side of the tank. Since the "level" appears to be dead center of the tank, I'm wondering if the contrast is from sky and ground reflections.

Re:Butane Tank Level highgear 3/5/2010
Here's another angle where solar loading is affecting the surface. The sun is shining on the end (you can see the sun's thermal reflection at about the 1 o'clock position).

Re:Butane Tank Level In4red 3/8/2010
Propane tanks can be tricky due to the high emissivity. I shoot them early morning or late afternoon to get a good thermal pattern on the liquid level.
These were taken when the sun was still out (3pm). The first image is from the sunny side and the second is from the shady side.

Shady side.

A large upright propane tank in the morning.
The electrical tape trick also works well on the small ones.

Re:Butane Tank Level Gary Orlove 3/30/2010
highgear wrote:
to know if this image shows the butane level inside the tank. The guage indicated to be 72% full. Outside temperature about 40°F with very little wind. Solar loading is not affecting this side of the tank. Since the "level" appears to be dead center of the tank, I'm wondering if the contrast is from sky and ground reflections.

Looking at the thermal patterns, I would suggest that you are looking at sky and ground reflections here.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:Butane Tank Level manuel-thermoimagen 3/31/2010
Gary Orlove wrote:
Looking at the thermal patterns, I would suggest that you are looking at sky and ground reflections here.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center
agree.
double check with the cheapest trick just to confirm that level is at the middle.

if this will be frecuently operation, will have to paint black mate strip around the tank

;)

Re:Butane Tank Level Top Gun 4/1/2010
I have a different opinion. To determine if that truly is a reflection and not a thermal feature generated by fluid in the tank the camera viewing angle should have been moved up and or down. On the first image there is a nearly triangular (cooler) feature that protrudes just above the breaking line, above the tank support. If the camera was moved down and closer to the tank so as to be looking upward at the tank, that line will remain at the same place if it is based on the fluid level. If not, with the camera lower, the line will move down with respect to that feature just mentioned.
Have a great day!

Re:Butane Tank Level magfire10 4/1/2010
Since tanks hold liquid which in turn is vapor when the valve is opened, a 500 gal tank does not actually hold 500gals. At 70% there is approx. 350gals in liquid form. Hence the slightly more than 1/2 full level as indicated in the image.

Re:Butane Tank Level happlin 4/2/2010
If the person would shoot the tank from different heights, say 1 foot, 3 feet, 5 feet, and 7 feet I am sure that he would see the line move around the tank. The tape idea is the best.

Re:Butane Tank Level highgear 4/26/2010
Thanks for the replies...it's been a while since I've monitored this post. I will try to get back to this tank and try some of the ideas here. Will repost images when I get them.

Wade

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012