Message Board Thread - "Start-up Costs"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Start-up Costs kkj62004 3/16/2010
Does anyone have a general idea how much it would cost for a well-established electrical/mechanical contractor to add a thermography program? Camera has already been purchased. Need to hire a thermographer.
Thanks

Re:Start-up Costs abianco 4/1/2010
kkj62004 wrote:
yone have a general idea how much it would cost for a well-established electrical/mechanical contractor to add a thermography program? Camera has already been purchased. Need to hire a thermographer.
Thanks
What city are you in?

Re:Start-up Costs skywalker 4/1/2010
abianco wrote:
What city are you in?
I have the same question. What is the normal pay scale for a thermographer, entry level, and once their training is done. I live in Hawaii. What would you suggest the best training method be, being in the middle of the big pond?

Thanks!!

Re:Start-up Costs kkj62004 4/1/2010
abianco wrote:
What city are you in?
Located in Central/Eastern Pennsylvania

Re:Start-up Costs HPP1 4/1/2010
your best bet is to take a class and perform IR yourself. I have found this to be a problem as a thermographer. Hourly pay is to low and I already own my own camera.Why else would I be certified? Tough to make a living(at least in my area) doing only infrared..although I'm striving to do more.if you own the camera..take the classes and do it your self..ITC class are best through Flir..can't wait to attend an other!
Good Luck!

Re:Start-up Costs kkj62004 4/2/2010
HPP1 wrote:
st bet is to take a class and perform IR yourself. I have found this to be a problem as a thermographer. Hourly pay is to low and I already own my own camera.Why else would I be certified? Tough to make a living(at least in my area) doing only infrared..although I'm striving to do more.if you own the camera..take the classes and do it your self..ITC class are best through Flir..can't wait to attend an other!
Good Luck!
Actually I have my own thermal imaging business. I am having difficulty making a comfortable living however. I have been meeting with a few electrical/mechanical contractors who do not have a thermography program and are looking to add one to their services. I have put together a business prospectus for them and the one area we can't seem to reach an agreement is salary for a certified thermographer and overhead

Re:Start-up Costs IRBILL 4/3/2010
kkj62004 wrote:
Actually I have my own thermal imaging business. I am having difficulty making a comfortable living however. I have been meeting with a few electrical/mechanical contractors who do not have a thermography program and are looking to add one to their services. I have put together a business prospectus for them and the one area we can't seem to reach an agreement is salary for a certified thermographer and overhead
Costs for an experienced thermographer can be variable depending on what needs to be done. It really depends on the level of inspection that needs to be done. If you intend to perform a qualitative inspection - then that is less intensive and should be less costly. A quantitative inspection takes more time and is more expensive. I have been certified Level III and have been performing inspections for both building envelope and electrical/mechanical in PA - and each job is different. So, you need to work with someone who can meet your needs in terms of price, professionalism, and skills. Typically, you see many thermographers pricing by lump sum amounts for 4, 8, 12 hrs, etc...

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012