Message Board Thread - "Building component artifact?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Building component artifact? David Brown 7/1/2010
This is an image of the outside wall from inside the kitchen. At first glance it seems to resemble insulation defects (the top one corresponding to the electrical socket), but the radial symmetry makes me think that it might be something else. I checked the outside wall and there is nothing in that area other than uniform siding. However the pattern is located just over the roof of a 2nd floor enclosed porch in the back, so I’m wondering if it might be the vestige of a building component related to an old entrance or something. Any ideas?
 
Re:Building component artifact? Bob Berry 7/2/2010
do you have a visual?
 
Re:Building component artifact? David Brown 7/2/2010
Bob Berry wrote:
have a visual?
Unfortunately, I can't get an exterior shot due to the 2nd story porch roof blocking access but I have an interior visual corresponding to the IR. Here it is...
 
Re:Building component artifact? Randy 7/7/2010
We've been batting this one around the office for a while. It's obviously not an insulation problem. It's not structural since the anomalies are not consistent with the wall studs. One possibilty, since the anomalies match the outlet, is that they are electrical boxes for floodlights never installed on the exterior wall.
 
Re:Building component artifact? Rookie 7/7/2010
I would be interested to see this image taken in the evening. There is alot of sunshine coming thru that window. It would almost appear to be reflected heat from the sun bouncing off something not in view.
 
Re:Building component artifact? B. Boyd 7/7/2010
Rookie wrote:
be interested to see this image taken in the evening. There is alot of sunshine coming thru that window. It would almost appear to be reflected heat from the sun bouncing off something not in view.
Maybe a wall clock or wall hanging creating the reflection?
 
Re:Building component artifact? happlin 7/7/2010
I go along with the reflection.
 
Re:Building component artifact? David Brown 7/8/2010
I appreciate the responses everyone, but I'm not sure I can buy the reflection theory: 1) A reflection would have to be at the opposite angle from the target as the camera; in this case the camera is almost dead-on meaning that the "wall clock" would either have to be in front of me or behind me; 2) painted sheetrock is not very reflective, especially when there is little or no angle at play. So far, the best theories I've heard are some kind of voids in the insulation or some kind of blocking that is causing thermal bridging from the hot exterior.
 
Re:Building component artifact? Tocutter 7/11/2010
The IR signature is too strong to be anything but brick or steel. But the wall stud rules this out, plus the signature on the left dips down into the the tile. So this rules out a wall source. I have to agree that this is caused by a reflection from the room. My experiance leads me to think that this wall is covered with a latex paint several coats deep (wall stud definition)that is reflecting the IR. The two low horizontal elements are reflections from the left cabinet baseboard (Gloss Paint) and the right is from the stove near the kick space of the cabinets. The two upper vertical elements may be artifacts, but this could be residual heat from earlier reflections from the same sources. Only a early morning reading would rule this out.
 
Re:Building component artifact? Top Gun 7/14/2010
I am not swayed by the reflection argument. Simple geometry tells one that if it was a reflection, the source of the heat would be on the floor in front of the wall. Something would have to be significantly more than 100 degrees F. to generate a reflection signature as strong as indicated (at least 5 degree rise). My guess is that the heat is either leaking from a source outside and penetrating that wall or perhaps originating inside the wall itself. If it is originating inside the wall, it could be some electrical junction boxes, transformers, electrical devices of some kind, or worse, nesting bats, rodents or insects.
 
Re:Building component artifact? Gerrywall 7/17/2010
Hi David

I was really interested in your question and all of the replies.

I dont buy the reflection answer although changing the angle might help but looking at the visual there is not really any room for manovering.

I am in the UK no I am not all together up on your elctrical supplies but my money would be on the electrical outlet and prob some dodgy wiring that was still live from the past. Possilbe junction box or crimped wires that are no longer connected but still live.

If it is wiring further investigation might be needed. Personally depending on what you are getting paid for the job or course but I would visit the fuse box / Consumer unit and see if I can cut the power to that electrical outlet and take furhter readings etc.

I am of course only going by the 2 images I see here and do not know how old the property is etc.

I would be really interested if you could update me on your findings please. My email address is gerry@greenbeehousing.com.

Kind regards

Gerry
 
Re:Building component artifact? hunka 7/22/2010
Gerrywall wrote:
d

I was really interested in your question and all of the replies.

I dont buy the reflection answer although changing the angle might help but looking at the visual there is not really any room for manovering.

I am in the UK no I am not all together up on your elctrical supplies but my money would be on the electrical outlet and prob some dodgy wiring that was still live from the past. Possilbe junction box or crimped wires that are no longer connected but still live.

If it is wiring further investigation might be needed. Personally depending on what you are getting paid for the job or course but I would visit the fuse box / Consumer unit and see if I can cut the power to that electrical outlet and take furhter readings etc.

I am of course only going by the 2 images I see here and do not know how old the property is etc.

I would be really interested if you could update me on your findings please. My email address is gerry@greenbeehousing.com.

Kind regards

Gerry
Is it possible that the reflection if it is one could be comming from the fans that are located in the window.I'm looking at the shape of this anomoly and it seems to mimic the blades to some degree.
 
Re:Building component artifact? hunka 7/22/2010
Gerrywall wrote:
d

I was really interested in your question and all of the replies.

I dont buy the reflection answer although changing the angle might help but looking at the visual there is not really any room for manovering.

I am in the UK no I am not all together up on your elctrical supplies but my money would be on the electrical outlet and prob some dodgy wiring that was still live from the past. Possilbe junction box or crimped wires that are no longer connected but still live.

If it is wiring further investigation might be needed. Personally depending on what you are getting paid for the job or course but I would visit the fuse box / Consumer unit and see if I can cut the power to that electrical outlet and take furhter readings etc.

I am of course only going by the 2 images I see here and do not know how old the property is etc.

I would be really interested if you could update me on your findings please. My email address is gerry@greenbeehousing.com.

Kind regards

Gerry
Is it possible that the reflection if it is one could be comming from the fans that are located in the window.I'm looking at the shape of this anomoly and it seems to mimic the blades to some degree.
 
Re:Building component artifact? StecGuy 9/21/2010
I'm not ruling out the reflection. What does the rim of the water bowl in front of the wall look like? At any point in time was the sun beating on it for it to reflect heat onto the wall?
 
Re:Building component artifact? David Brown 9/22/2010
StecGuy wrote:
ruling out the reflection. What does the rim of the water bowl in front of the wall look like? At any point in time was the sun beating on it for it to reflect heat onto the wall?
That hadn't occurred to me, StecGuy. That is a great theory. I suspect that the bowl is too close to the window to allow it to get that kind of exposure to direct sunlight, but I'll check it out next time I have access to the apartment.
 
Re:Building component artifact? The identifier 9/22/2010
David Brown wrote:
That hadn't occurred to me, StecGuy. That is a great theory. I suspect that the bowl is too close to the window to allow it to get that kind of exposure to direct sunlight, but I'll check it out next time I have access to the apartment.
Looking at the image and starting from left to right..the first reflection is from the brass coloured carpet rod to tile rod...the second relection is the sun on the tiles the wall relections seem to be the socket reflecting of the curved bowl therfore two reflections of one radiation source. the two reflections one left of the socket and one right seem identical in shape to the wall socket.reflection on the right again seem to be the sun on the tiles..this is my thoughts....
 
Re:Building component artifact? dave_s 9/23/2010
David Brown wrote:
an image of the outside wall from inside the kitchen. At first glance it seems to resemble insulation defects (the top one corresponding to the electrical socket), but the radial symmetry makes me think that it might be something else. I checked the outside wall and there is nothing in that area other than uniform siding. However the pattern is located just over the roof of a 2nd floor enclosed porch in the back, so I’m wondering if it might be the vestige of a building component related to an old entrance or something. Any ideas?
Reflection.
 
Re:Building component artifact? jvoitl 9/24/2010
Since the spots in question appear warmer than the window and fan that the sun is hitting directly it seems doubtful that it is a sun reflection. Why not just close the drapes and rule out the sun idea?
 
Re:Building component artifact? dryfix 10/7/2010
Not wanting to point out the obvious, but considering there is a bowl presumably for a pet, is it not possible a dog or other animal lays here, and simply moved before your arrival?
 


  • Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

     

  •   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012