Message Board Thread - "Need opinions"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Need opinions Rich at H2H 7/7/2010
Gents,

The following image show an anomaly in the wall.I am a mold inspector as well so I was looking for moisture. After reviewing the pictures I took a moisture test and an air sample. I am not sure however if the pictures are conclusive. Opinions?

Re:Need opinions Scott Wood Associates 7/8/2010
Many infrared thermograms are inconclusive. In these cases the investigator needs to use addition tools such as a moisture meter to confirm the suspected moisture patterns. I’m wondering what your results were?
A nice roundy (mostly defined at the edges), uniform pattern is more typical of the cool thermal anomaly of evaporating water.
Patterning is very much what we look at as building investigators utilizing thermography and not temperatures as you have on the image. Comparing the pattern of this area to other areas of the wall should indicate you have a general area that is different. The cooler patterns in your image are somewhat defined, though not real clear. If you were to tune the image using a tighter span would the patterns continue to be fairly uniform? What did the rest of the wall look like thermally? Were there visible water markings to indicate moisture (baseboard, tackless, wall-ceiling junction stains)? What is on the other side of the wall/ceiling? Where there indications of a possible intrusion point on the exterior or water source on the other side or is it heat transfer difference?
If the patterns were unique to this area of the wall and your moisture meter indicated moisture, you may have located a moisture surface.

Re:Need opinions Rich at H2H 7/11/2010
Scott Wood Associates wrote:
frared thermograms are inconclusive. In these cases the investigator needs to use addition tools such as a moisture meter to confirm the suspected moisture patterns. I’m wondering what your results were?
A nice roundy (mostly defined at the edges), uniform pattern is more typical of the cool thermal anomaly of evaporating water.
Patterning is very much what we look at as building investigators utilizing thermography and not temperatures as you have on the image. Comparing the pattern of this area to other areas of the wall should indicate you have a general area that is different. The cooler patterns in your image are somewhat defined, though not real clear. If you were to tune the image using a tighter span would the patterns continue to be fairly uniform? What did the rest of the wall look like thermally? Were there visible water markings to indicate moisture (baseboard, tackless, wall-ceiling junction stains)? What is on the other side of the wall/ceiling? Where there indications of a possible intrusion point on the exterior or water source on the other side or is it heat transfer difference?
If the patterns were unique to this area of the wall and your moisture meter indicated moisture, you may have located a moisture surface.
The the back side of the wall was the garage. No visible signs of moisture. Meter showed no excessive moisture. 9-12%. Could not compare the rest of the wall due to a large hutch in the way. I could only conclude that this was a insulation anomaly?

Re:Need opinions JimW 8/5/2010
I think you are looking at a heat anomaly. Who keeps a house at 89 degrees?

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012