Message Board Thread - "320 x 240 to 640 x 480"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
320 x 240 to 640 x 480 Edd Hindmarsh 8/8/2010
I have been told to save some images at 640 x 480, but my camera is 320x 240. This might be a basic question but how do I do it.

Re:320 x 240 to 640 x 480 jgagnon 8/9/2010
Hello,

My answer assumes that you have a FLIR camera. If you have a different vendor it may be best to contact them directly for some advice:

FLIR cameras have a fixed resolution. If you have a 320x240 camera then that is the largest picture you can store. Most modern FLIR handhelds store a radiometric JPEG file. Using third-party graphics software you could increase the resolution of the JPEG, but you must be very careful to MAKE A COPY OF THE IMAGE before doing this. If you save over the original image with non-FLIR software you will lose the radiometric data. You will no longer be able to process the image in FLIR software; it becomes just a regular JPEG.

Keep in mind that the image quality may degrade if you increase the resolution on the PC. Graphics programs use interpolation algorithms to enlarge the image, so it may look a bit "fuzzy" if you make it too large.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions regarding FLIR products please feel free to visit our Support Center website at http://support.flir.com.

Best Regards,

Jason Gagnon
FLIR Systems, Inc.
phone: 978-901-8413
E-mail: jason.gagnon@flir.com

Re:320 x 240 to 640 x 480 JKEngineer 8/10/2010
I think a valid response starts with: Why do you need 640x480?
If it is to improve the accuracy and resolution of an image, then I think you need to take 4 images and combine them. Take a 2x2 layout and use graphics software or photo/panorama software to stitch them together.

Otherwise, if it's just for image "size" use Jason's suggestion.
Jack
Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

Bronx, NY 10463

718-884-6644
866-884-6644 toll free
212-214-0919 fax and voice mail

JKEngineer@aol.com or JKEngineer@KleinfeldTechnical.com
come see what we can do for you: http://www.KleinfeldTechnical.com

Re:320 x 240 to 640 x 480 Edd Hindmarsh 8/13/2010
Dear Gentlemen, thank you very much for your response, the images involved are for medical puposes were taken with an S65HS, I am a Level 3 with over 10 years experience. You have confirmed what I thought, but I was told that the resolution could be increased through the reporter software. I therefore thought that I must have forgotten something very basic, apparently I have not. Since posting this Thread, I noticed that the raw images are indeed saved at 640 x 240, but when they are processed through the software for analysis and saved outside of the Report, something changes and we also lose the scale on the right side of the thermogram. This is immaterial for this case, and trhank you again for your comments.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012