Message Board Thread - "Radiant heat in a concrete slab."

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Radiant heat in a concrete slab. Brad Carr 9/23/2010
Our local college is building a large shop with a radiant heat system in slab. Glycol. The shop won't be finished until early spring. Up to 100 pieces of machinery will be anchored into the slab. We would like to determine the location of the loops before drilling. The floor will be in operation at that time.
Would the floor surface temperature be even across the floor? If the glycol temperature was reduced would we be able to trace the loops with enough clarity? Roughly what temperature would work to heat the slab enough to find the loops without heating the whole floor? I realize reducing the room temperature would help.
I will be sharing responses with the facility technologist.
I have taken the Level 1 training. Operating the camera is not a problem. Just need to tap into the experience on this board.
If you prefer My email address is brad@diversifiedinspections.com
Any response greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brad

Re:Radiant heat in a concrete slab. IRJay 9/23/2010
I have traced these systems with as little as 90F fluid. Dependency can come from the depth of the tubes and the thickness of the floor. the floor will not be uniform at all but locating is more defined at the onset. But generally just try it and find the method that is the quickest to accomplish the areas you want. email me if you want more specifics. jay.bowen@infraredtraining.com

Re:Radiant heat in a concrete slab. ldapkus 10/4/2010
I've done radiant heat scans to locate tubing in order to finish a basement.

Re:Radiant heat in a concrete slab. Brad Carr 10/4/2010
Thanks for the advice . Both responses have been helpful.

Re:Radiant heat in a concrete slab. ldapkus 10/4/2010
Brad Carr wrote:
for the advice . Both responses have been helpful.
You'll do fine, it's pretty easy really.If your imager has a laser pointer, you just need an assistant to mark the floor as you locate the tubing.

Re:Radiant heat in a concrete slab. Brad Carr 10/4/2010
It's the kind of work you only get one shot at. I'm going to look at a few floors before hand to determine the best conditions.
Thanks

Re:Radiant heat in a concrete slab. barryt 10/7/2010
Brad Carr wrote:
cal college is building a large shop with a radiant heat system in slab. Glycol. The shop won't be finished until early spring. Up to 100 pieces of machinery will be anchored into the slab. We would like to determine the location of the loops before drilling. The floor will be in operation at that time.
Would the floor surface temperature be even across the floor? If the glycol temperature was reduced would we be able to trace the loops with enough clarity? Roughly what temperature would work to heat the slab enough to find the loops without heating the whole floor? I realize reducing the room temperature would help.
I have taken the Level 1 training. Operating the camera is not a problem. Just need to tap into the experience on this board.

Thanks, Brad

why Drill the floor?

in a factory were I use to work we never drilled into the slab.
machines sat on pads that isolated them from the floor.
do not remember the manufacture name for the pads.
the company had 25,000 pound machine setting on 4 pads about 3" off floor the pads ranged in size according to weight

Re:Radiant heat in a concrete slab. barryt 10/7/2010
Brad Carr wrote:
cal college is building a large shop with a radiant heat system in slab. Glycol. The shop won't be finished until early spring. Up to 100 pieces of machinery will be anchored into the slab. We would like to determine the location of the loops before drilling. The floor will be in operation at that time.

Thanks, Brad

why Drill the floor?

in a factory were I use to work we never drilled into the slab.
machines sat on pads that isolated them from the floor.
do not remember the manufacture name for the pads.
the company had 25,000 pound machine setting on 4 pads about 3" off floor the pads ranged in size according to weight. made it real easy to relocate machines different locations.

Re:Radiant heat in a concrete slab. drleak 10/7/2010
Brad Carr wrote:

Thanks, Brad

I have scanned heated slabs for mechanical companies wanting to install trigger door openers in the slabs and the heated loops come out clearly in the scan.
Jim Jennings
Canadian Academy of Building Sciences Inc.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012