Message Board Thread - "Hot Porcelain on a Cutout"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Hot Porcelain on a Cutout Ricepatties 11/24/2010
I am a newbie to the use of the FLIR camera and I was needing some advice on an occurance taken with the FLIR camera. I have attached a photo of what was taken. The photo shows the procelain of cutout gate showing 10 degrees in farenheit hotter than the other two cutout gates. Pictures from a variety of different angles show similiar results. The emissivity setting for the camera was set at .95. The picture was taken directly after a rain (the clouds had still blocked out the sun so there was no sunshine at all anywhere on the pole or pole eqipment). I took this picture out of curosity because it seems that a few days after a rain we will start having pole fires and cutout failures. The camera used is a flir I50 which if im not mistaken has an aspect ratio of 300:1 while the image taken was about 35-40 ft away. I have noticed other problems in the pictures such as the bottom buttons on 2 of the three arrestors where showing heat. My main concern is after a rain--- is this an indication of a failing cutout? My line of thinking is that the procelain will crack after time (due to changing temperature) then during a rain and after a rain water seeps into the cracks and causes arcing within the cutout and this producing heat as seen in the picture. Or is my line of thinking incorrect?

Re:Hot Porcelain on a Cutout Ricepatties 11/24/2010
And before I forget the cutouts serve a switched capacitor bank which was online at the time the picture was taken.

Re:Hot Porcelain on a Cutout TDLIR 11/24/2010
If you concluded that it is not reflection and not solar loading then you should confirm this finding with Airborne Ultrasound to see if it Tracking.

Re:Hot Porcelain on a Cutout Hotspot 1/10/2011
TDLIR wrote:
concluded that it is not reflection and not solar loading then you should confirm this finding with Airborne Ultrasound to see if it Tracking.
Your conclusion sounds correct. We had several cutouts and arrestors that seem to be related to yours. After a little moisture, they would started heating up and we would have some failures. Hope this helps.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012