Message Board Thread - "FLIR i7 - need suggestions"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
FLIR i7 - need suggestions Mobius01 12/1/2010
Hey guys, I am planning on investing on FLIR i7 for thermal inspections and I am getting mixed responses. I would like to find out from others and especially from the people who are actually using this camera as to what they think of it.

I will be using it for residential thermal imaging for insulations problems. Is it good for detecting moisture etc?

What are pros and cons? I see that it is “Focus free” and not “Auto focused” does that make a big difference?

Thank you

Re:FLIR i7 - need suggestions Mobius01 12/2/2010
Mobius01 wrote:
s, I am planning on investing on FLIR i7 for thermal inspections and I am getting mixed responses. I would like to find out from others and especially from the people who are actually using this camera as to what they think of it.

I will be using it for residential thermal imaging for insulations problems. Is it good for detecting moisture etc?

What are pros and cons? I see that it is “Focus free” and not “Auto focused” does that make a big difference?

Thank you
Anyone, anybody? yes/no/maybe? :) lol

Re:FLIR i7 - need suggestions manuel-thermoimagen 12/2/2010
please read this before do anything..

12 THING TO KNOW BEFORE BUYING AN INFRARED CAMERA
http://www.rapidonline.com/netalogue/infozone/downloads/flir_12things.pdf

Re:FLIR i7 - need suggestions Mobius01 12/3/2010
manuel-thermoimagen wrote:
read this before do anything..

12 THING TO KNOW BEFORE BUYING AN INFRARED CAMERA
http://www.rapidonline.com/netalogue/infozone/downloads/flir_12things.pdf
Yes, thanks. I already read that article but I wanted to get feedback from someone who has actually oened this camera and had some hands on experience.

Re:FLIR i7 - need suggestions Jim1960 12/6/2010
Hi, I have owned an i7 for about 7 months now and find it useful for a very basic camera. I also have a T360 camera that I use as my primary camera due to it's higher resolution. My company does vibration analysis as well as thermal imaging, and I have found the i7 very good for documenting faulty bearings and since it is so tiny I can carry it around in a pocket of my coveralls while touring around a client's plant site taking vibration readings on bearings with a data collector. The only thing I really don't like about the i7 is the "focus free" aspect of it. I don't know if it the cameras low 120 x 120 resolution, or a compromise on the placement of the focus lens, but the images appears to be a little soft, like it is a tiny bit out of focus. I paid about $3k for mine 7 months ago, but I see them advertised new on eBay now for $2k. I don't think you will find a better deal out there for a big name camera. It certainly has the sensitivity for detecting insulation/moisture problems. My recommendation for you is to contact a dealer who sells them that will let you try one out in the field. That is the only way you will know for sure if it will suit your needs.

Regards,

Jim

Re:FLIR i7 - need suggestions Mobius01 12/7/2010
Jim1960 wrote:
ave owned an i7 for about 7 months now and find it useful for a very basic camera. I also have a T360 camera that I use as my primary camera due to it's higher resolution. My company does vibration analysis as well as thermal imaging, and I have found the i7 very good for documenting faulty bearings and since it is so tiny I can carry it around in a pocket of my coveralls while touring around a client's plant site taking vibration readings on bearings with a data collector. The only thing I really don't like about the i7 is the "focus free" aspect of it. I don't know if it the cameras low 120 x 120 resolution, or a compromise on the placement of the focus lens, but the images appears to be a little soft, like it is a tiny bit out of focus. I paid about $3k for mine 7 months ago, but I see them advertised new on eBay now for $2k. I don't think you will find a better deal out there for a big name camera. It certainly has the sensitivity for detecting insulation/moisture problems. My recommendation for you is to contact a dealer who sells them that will let you try one out in the field. That is the only way you will know for sure if it will suit your needs.

Regards,

Jim
Thanks for the info. That was very helpful.

I will trying it out at one of FLIR's distributors but I am not sure if they will let me try it out on field.

Do you happen to know the focus range on that camera? How far do you have to be before before you start losing focus from the object?

Thanks

Re:FLIR i7 - need suggestions Mobius01 12/12/2010
I had a chance to try out i7 and compare it with a B50 and I tell you guys, there wasn't a comparasion :)

If you want to do thermal imaging for buildings and to find heat loses, insualtion problems then b50 is the way to go.

I mean, at first I thought they were trying to sell me an expensive camera but then I found out that it wasnt the case.

So anyways, I thought i should share this with others.

Re:FLIR i7 - need suggestions bdrogin 2/7/2011
I know some (all?) of the I-series cameras will only auto-range and hold, and do not allow manual adjustment. That means if there is one little hot spot in the field of view, you will lose all thermal sensitivity for everything else you are trying to image. If this is your first camera, do not be fooled into losing that crucial feature (it might be irrelevant for the first job or so, but you will get a job where it is very important).

I talked to the sales rep and the new E-series apparently does not have this restriction (nor does the B-series), so if you're price sensitive and you're willing to give in on resolution for a first buy, then consider those instead of the I-series.

I apologize if this info is only true for the I3 and I5 and not the I7. I remember I had to track down a user's manual to discover this important spec.

Re:FLIR i7 - need suggestions Mobius01 2/7/2011
bdrogin wrote:
some (all?) of the I-series cameras will only auto-range and hold, and do not allow manual adjustment. That means if there is one little hot spot in the field of view, you will lose all thermal sensitivity for everything else you are trying to image. If this is your first camera, do not be fooled into losing that crucial feature (it might be irrelevant for the first job or so, but you will get a job where it is very important).

I talked to the sales rep and the new E-series apparently does not have this restriction (nor does the B-series), so if you're price sensitive and you're willing to give in on resolution for a first buy, then consider those instead of the I-series.

I apologize if this info is only true for the I3 and I5 and not the I7. I remember I had to track down a user's manual to discover this important spec.
I am glad I didnt rush myself into buying an IR camera. I am purchasing one of the new E-Series. They have better resolution, better sensitivity, blue tooth connectivity and much more.

Since E-Series has come out I dont know why woudl someone invest into the B-Series.

Thanks

Re:FLIR i7 - need suggestions bdrogin 3/4/2011
bdrogin wrote:
some (all?) of the I-series cameras will only auto-range and hold, and do not allow manual adjustment. That means if there is one little hot spot in the field of view, you will lose all thermal sensitivity for everything else you are trying to image. If this is your first camera, do not be fooled into losing that crucial feature (it might be irrelevant for the first job or so, but you will get a job where it is very important).

A teacher at the ITC has devised a work-around for the auto-range/hold problem on the I-series:

http://irinformir.blogspot.com/2011/02/flir-i3i5i7-thermal-tuning.html

With the work-around, I would consider expanding my statement "it might be irrelevant for the first job ir so" to "it might be irrelevant for the first few jobs or so." Murphy's Law dictates you will encounter a job where this work-around is not feasible. But very clever, Gary!

My practice on every job is to start with auto and then manually tweak, so I cannot imagine having to deal with this, it would drive my (pun intended) up the wall!

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012